I was inspired to make this simple focaccia bread recipe because my husband was doing a challenge with his friends to make bread during the COVID 19 lockdown.
Due to our lifestyle, we have to make do with limited resources. We baked Focaccia using our Air Fryer and it was a great success. So I am sharing this simple and delicious recipe with you and I hope that you will enjoy baking this as much as you will enjoy eating it.
Table of Contents
WHAT DID I USE IN THIS FOCACCIA BREAD RECIPE?
This delicious bread has just 4 main ingredients and 3 optional toppings.
- Ground Flax Seeds
Optional Ingredients for the topping:
- Rosemary – making this a Rosemary Focaccia Bread Recipe
- Black Olives
- Fresh tomatoes
WHY IS IT HEALTHY?
Although a traditional Focaccia Bread Recipe would require olive oil, I experimented with making a healthy version by adding flax seeds instead of olive oil.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Prepare 3 caps of white strong flour, 2tsp dry active fast yeast, 1tsp salt, 2tbsp ground flax seeds, 1 tsp sugar for activating the yeast and 1.5 cups of water. For the toppings: slice some tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes, olives and rosemary. You can use any ingredients of your choice.
In a bowl add yeast, sugar and 2tbsp of water. Give it a good mix and leave if for a few minutes. You will see that yeast produces tiny bubbles which means the activation process has started and the yeast is working.
Use the blender to ground the flax seeds. Then mix everything together: flour, flax seeds, salt, yeast and add water making into a dough.
The next step is to knead the dough. The more time you spend on kneading the better the bread will be. Usually, 10 – 15 minutes of kneading will bring up the perfect texture and you will burn a few calories too. The dough should be smooth and gooey and very sticky. Once you are done with the kneading, put the dough in a bowl, cover it with the towel and leave it in a warm place (room temperature in the summer) for 20 minutes.
Transfer the dough to a baking tray and add some toppings. In this case, I used sliced tomatoes, sliced black olives and a sprinkle of dried rosemary.
Bake in an air fryer or in a conventional oven for 30 minutes at 160C. The bread should be soft and airy inside and crispy on the outside.
Enjoy this delicious Focaccia bread.
If you prefer to watch me baking Focaccia using an Air-Fryer check out my YouTube channel. I will be sharing with you all my healthy, whole-food, oil-free vegan recipes which are simple, quick and delicious. (I only share the delicious ones ?.
Oil Free Vegan Focaccia Italian Bread Using Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 2 tbsp dry instant yeast
- 3 cups strong white flour
- 1½ tsp salt (or nutritional yeast as a substitute for salt)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp sugar (to activate yeast)
- 15 piece black olives
- 10 piece cherry tomatoes
- ½ tbsp rosemary
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the yeast and sugar, stir and let it activate for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl add flour, salt, ground flax seeds. Then add activated yeast into the mixture and add water.
- Knead the dough until the texture is evenly smooth. Then cover with the towel or put in a warm place for 20 minutes to set and rise the dough.
- Spread the dough evenly into a baking tray using your fingers tips or a spatula.
- Add toppings: sliced tomatoes, olives and rosemary either fresh or dry.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 160C.
You may also check out: